ICAR is one of the leading manufacturers of electrical capacitors and systems in low and medium voltage. Established in 1946, it bases its reputation on 70 years of experience in research, design, development and production of high-performance capacitors, an area where we still maintain an undisputed leadership.
First company in the world, ICAR started developing capacitors in metallized polypropylene at the beginning of the 60s. Furthermore, from the beginning we also realized the importance of developing our own metallization systems in order to control the production process from the polypropylene film right to the completed capacitor and systems.
The 6 plants located throughout Europe, which are strongly integrated at a vertical level, allow us (something which is rather rare throughout the world) to directly control the entire production process of polypropylene capacitors: from raw material to finished product.
In detail, the testing laboratory at Monza site is IMQ certified according to EN ISO IEC 17025 standard, 2005 edition.
• EN60871 (HV static power factor correction capacitors)
• EN60252 (Motor run capacitors)
• EN60831 ((LV static self-healing power factor correction capacitors)
• EN61048 -EN61049 (capacitors for fluorescent lighting and similar applications)
• EN61071 (Capacitors for power electronics)
• EN61881 (Rolling stock equipment – capacitors for power electronics)
Performed tests include:
• AC 50Hz voltage tests up to 350kV;
• DC voltage tests up to 250kV;
• AC / DC endurance tests with test temperature from -50°C to 110 °C;
• Short-circuit tests;
• Measurement of inductance and internal series resistance;
• Capacitance and tan δ measurement with frequencies up to 100kHz;
• Tests with predefined impulsive currents;
• Thermal tests with traditional thermal recording and/or thermal imaging recording;
impulse tests: 3/15kV and up to 250kV;
• High frequency tests up to 100kHz;
• Thermal cycles from -50°C to +110°C with humidity up to 95%.